It’s not even Thanksgiving yet but we know that some of you already have shopping on the brain. To find local and eco-friendly gifts for the holidays, consider stopping by the Downtown Holiday Market, which opens on December 4, 2009.
Here are some of the fair trade and eco-friendly items that will be on sale:
- Harun’s African Art (MD) – Handcrafted tableware and jewelry made of copper and brass alloys from South Africa; sales support upwards of 70 families of the Ndebele culture in the Lowveld of South Africa near Kruger National Park
- Figs & Ginger (NC) – Eco-friendly sterling jewelry
- Jenafusion (VA) – Handcrafted fashion accessories made from recycled, reclaimed, vintage, and new material. Products include hats, purses, scarves and wallets.
- The Devil Made Me Do It (MD) – One-of-a-kind clothing from 99% “upcycled” materials.
- The Red Persimmon (MD) – Fair trade and handmade gifts from India, Bali, Uganda, Mexico. Items include clothing, linens, silk and cotton purses, ornaments, and accessories.
- Three Stone Steps (MD) – Eco-friendly and fair trade accessories imported from Cambodia, Vietnam, the Philippines, and Haiti. Products include bags, wallets, silk scarves, and jewelry.
Some local food vendors of note will include: